Friday, June 24, 2011

And someone thought this was going to be easy

Meeting someone new, my personality tends to only give off the surface. Especially to people I know I won't be in contact with for a longer period of time. Then, Nanna Ellegaard Poulsen came into my life. I'd met people before and I did let them get in close enough that they knew practically all there is to make up Holly, but never to the point where I'd attach myself to them so it would be hard to say goodbye. I'd get to know them so well that once I felt I knew they'd be departing from me soon, I slowly weened myself from then so the final "goodbye" wouldn't be as heart wrenching. I was - and somewhat still am - afraid of having to say goodbye, of hurting, and of anything that would make me emotionally upset.
I wish I could give you a play by play of how we became the friends we are today. I wish there was a way to tell you it is easy to depart with someone who has become a part of your family. I wish I could say the things I wanted to without having to make it hurt. Yet, I'm only human.
It scares me knowing Nanna. Partly, because that means the world is so much bigger than I'd ever imagined. And, I tend to wonder if there really are as many people as Nanna and myself. Do foreign exchange students always come to a different country and find a person exactly like them? Then, does the non exchange student decide that they are going to visit their new friend's country? Or is our story really as unique as I like to think it is?
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.
I want so badly to hold on to the hope set aside for me to travel to Denmark next year after graduation. Yet, I know my heart is going to crack a little when I watch her walk the opposite way from me and I have to say the longest "See ya later" in my life. Except, the last few hours I'm going to be able to spend with her are going to be some of the best we'll ever experience and yet, some I'll never forget.
Today, I was able to read her article that will be coming out in the church newsletter. It was a summed up account of her time here in America and to say the least, joy filled my heart and I began to cry just because I was so happy that the impact the small people of Tonkawa had had on her life were a good one. Hopefully, she'll post it up here.
I'm going to miss you Nanna.
Your texts for rides.
The way we'd look at each other and automatically know the other's feelings.
The small surprises when we realized some new trait we shared.
The awakening saying, "You elbowed me in the face again". 
The turning to me with a confused look while playing and mouthing, "Is this right?"
The laughing until we died...."What would I tell your mom?"
The question of disagreement even being possible.
Everything about you.

For one last statement, don't ever forget the transformation made in you. 

2 comments:

  1. Holly, you and Nanna are both awesome people :) I really really hope that I get to meet you in person!! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete