Friday, June 17, 2011

And then there were 8 days.

After a week at YFN (Youth for the Nations) I can only agree with Holly's previous post. I even amaze myself with how far I've come, especially because the last thing I told most of my Danish friends and family was "I will not become a Chistian".
I especially remember one incident, my mom and I were on our way to a nearby town to do some last minute shopping before I left Denmark. Like I did so often, I had one of my little breakdowns telling her how much I wanted to just stay in Denmark (Now I just want to stay in America, Ironic huh?). She said something something like "Remember to be open minded, you know you can get a lot of friends by attending church". As we turned down another road I almost yelled "no! I do not believe there's a God after all that happened to me" - I know it's such an untrue statement so many people use as an excuse for not believing. Obviously, I ended up being open minded.

This past week I've become stronger. Not physically, I don't think that's ever going to happen, but mentally. I've grown stronger. I feel more prepared to go back to Denmark, not that I will ever be willing to leave voluntarily. I'm still going to miss people more than anything, but thanks to one amazing girl, I've come to appreciate what I've gained in America even more. There is a reason that I don't want to leave, if I had an easy time leaving, it would probably be because I hadn't had this great a year. So, I'm glad that I'm sad to leave. It seems like a contradicting statement, but I really need to be happy that I love this place so much.

Back to the part about being stronger, thanks to God, my friends, and my pastor I now feel more prepared to face Denmark again. I will still cry like a baby when I have to say goodbye to Colby and Holly; I will still have to be dragged out my dear family's house; and I will still have to be pushed through security, bawling, at the airport, but I'm ready. Not to mention that this heat is killing me, come hither crappy Danish summers with a whole lot of rain and highs in the mid 80's. Seriously I would've never thought I would wish for a Danish summer. I love rain, it's my favorite kind of weather, but it is nice with some decent weather during my (short) break from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment